I am reposting this as a "public service"
I have gotten a bunch of emails from folks off the list with respect to this fantastic box set, who wanted the info to take with them as they did their "annual multi national corporation enhancement campaign" (Christmas Shopping......lol)
Here is the original review
Feel free to print it out and take it to the store with you as you shop Show it to the clerrk, it will make your shopping expidition go much faster I think that the Funk Box from our friends at HIP-O RECORDS
makes a great gift for ANY Funkateer to find under their tree :)
Those of you "collectors", "raregroove people" (whateva da hell that's supposed to mean....lol), bootleggers, etc. , who have told us in the past that you ONLY want your FUNK on the "original LP's or 45's" might want to quickly delete this posting, scroll past it or pretend that you never saw this....
Ok, I'm gonna give you another chance to leave now, before yopu catch a glimpse of the rest of this, cause all of you "collectors", "raregroove people" (whateva da hell that's supposed to mean....lol), bootleggers, etc. are gonna HATE THIS ONE...
Now that all of the "collectors", "raregroove people" (whateva da hell that's supposed to mean....lol), bootleggers, etc. are gone, the rest of us (who can't afford to pay $100.00 for a damn scratched up 45) can talk :-)
now make sure that the others don't hear us talking about this cuz they are about to commit suicide over the HUNDREDS (THOUSANDS?) OF DOLLARS they have probably spent over the years trying to acquire these songs.....
Our friends at HIP-O RECORDS have done it again....
Now yall know that I have been the web master of something called the: P*Funk Review for a number of years now, so I have a keen interest in this new release.
As I am typing this, it's JAMMIN and I am finding myself:
JUMPING UP FROM THIS KEYBOARD TO DANCE,...
...then sitting back down and spinning the chair around...
....BANGING ON THE DESK, LIKE IT WAS A SET OF BONGOS
CHECK IT OUT YALL....
ALL OF THIS IN ONE STANK/NASTY SUPER HELLIFIED FOUR CD (including a 45 page book filled with commentary by Steven Ivory and loads of pictures) FUNK BOMB OF A PACKAGE...
James Brown - Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - James Brown - Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose Aretha Franklin - War - Bobby Byrd - The Chakachas - The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Billy Preston - Lyn Collins (The Female Preacher) - Fatback Band - The J.B.'s - Marvin Gaye - Cymande - The New Birth - Barry White - Curtis Mayfield - Gil Scott Heron -Tower Of Power - James Brown - The O'Jays - Kool & The Gang - Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - Blackbyrds - B.T. Express -The Meters -Ohio Players - George McCrae - The Temptations - Average White Band - Jermaine Jackson - The Isley Brothers - Graham Central Station - Parliament - Brothers Johnson - Brass Construction - Brick - Johnny Guitar Watson - Bootsy's Rubber Band -Slave - Patrice Rushen - Roy Ayers - The Commodores - Bar-Kays- Rick James -Fatback - Bohannon - Funkadelic - Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers - Cameo -Pleasure - Teena Marie - Zapp - Gap Band - George Clinton -
Dammit that reads something like the index page of my damn website :)
Disc 1 covers my years in High School (young funk in NYC)
Disc 2 & 3 covers my college years (sweatbox funk in Pittsburgh)
Disc 4 covers the early 80's (funk in the Southern Part of Texas)
...enough about me
If yall don't buy this set you are OUT OF YOUR MINDS
· James Brown - Get Up I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine [full-length single version]
· Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Express Yourself
· James Brown - Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose [unedited non-overdubbed version]
· Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady
· War - Slippin' Into Darkness
· Bobby Byrd - I Know You Got Soul [extended version]
· The Chakachas - Jungle Fever
· The Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun
· Billy Preston - Outa-Space
· Lyn Collins (The Female Preacher) - Think (About It)
· Fatback Band - Goin' To See My Baby
· The J.B.'s - Pass the Peas
· Marvin Gaye - "T" Plays It Cool
· Cymande - The Message
· The New Birth - I Can Understand It
· Barry White - I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby
· Curtis Mayfield - Future Shock
· Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - The Bottle [12" mix]
· Tower Of Power - What Is Hip?
· James Brown - The Payback
· The O'Jays - For The Love Of Money
· Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging
· Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - Tell Me Something Good
· Blackbyrds - Do It, Fluid
· B.T. Express - Do It (Till You're Satisfied)
· The Meters - Just Kissed My Baby
· Ohio Players - Skin Tight
· George McCrae - I Get Lifted
· The Temptations - Shakey Ground
· Average White Band - School Boy Crush
· Jermaine Jackson - Erucu
· The Isley Brothers - Fight the Power - Pts. 1 & 2
· Graham Central Station - The Jam
· Parliament - Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)
· Brothers Johnson - Get the Funk Out Ma Face
· Brass Construction - Changin'
· Brick - Dazz
· Johnny Guitar Watson - Superman Lover
· Bootsy's Rubber Band - The Pinocchio Theory
· Slave - Slide
· Patrice Rushen - The Hump
· Roy Ayers - Running Away [12" mix]
· The Commodores - Brick House [12" mix]
· Bar-Kays - Let's Have Some Fun
· Rick James - You and I
· Fatback - I Like Girls
· Bohannon - Let's Start The Dance
· Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove
· Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers - Bustin' Loose [12" mix]
· Cameo - I Just Want to Be [12" extended mix]
· Pleasure - Glide
· Teena Marie - Behind the Groove
· Zapp - More Bounce To The Ounce
· Gap Band - Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)
· George Clinton - Atomic Dog
Just buy this one, turn on the black light in the basement, put up all of your old Jimi Hendrix, Malcolm X, 12 Signs of Black Love, and Huey P. Newton posters, move all of the chairs and tables to the side, light up the incense, invite over 100 of your closest friends, fry up some chicken, break out the Dashiki's, Platform Shoes, Playboys, Godfather Brims, Applejacks, Baseball Jackets, Nik Nik Shirts, Buy Plenty of Thunderbird, Catawba Pink, Swiss Up, Night Train :), Boones Farm, Swiss Up
Start Your own Damn SWEATBOX!!!!!!!!!
jump up and down
wave your hands...
(and shake em like ya just don't care)
go to Hip-O's website
(& kiss the screen)
and say HALELUJAH
(the FUNK bootleggers are out of business)
-- Bob Davis